Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Performing Perfection









Hello all,

With this new piece I'm trying to examine the intersection between perfection and real life. The ballerina has long been seen as a symbol of feminine beauty, strength and grace. Often depicted at a whispy speck of a human, her body has been embraced by the modeling industry and standards for beauty at large. By embodying the ballerina, albeit the imperfect one, I am both producer and performer of my actions and girlish fantasies. I am taking up this costume/facade of perfection –– this goal that is attainable to so few and performing my way through it, in an effort to show the performance of everyday life, in the everyday person.

My work is becoming increainsgly about performing this perfection –– about taking signifiers of embraced since girlhood and reconciling them as a young adult. Also, showing what happens when I "real" person takes up these roles. What struggles do they have? How do they fit into the costume? How do they perform the actions they've witnessed so many time? How can I put humanity back into these ridged constraints of beauty and perfection?

The end product will be a stop animation film installed as some sort of projection...still to be worked out. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment