Monday, March 15, 2010

Congratulations


Pipilotti Rist


I’m most interested in her positive attitude, her freeness and mildness towards herself and her philosophy surrounding creating. I also love her ideas about the viewing experience. She puts a lot of thought into how people view her work, sometimes having them lie on topographical carpet maps to get the full effect. Pleasure and comfort of he viewer is often a consideration.

http://www.pipilottirist.net/




‘People often ask me if my art is feminist. I am a feminist , that’s a point of honour and logical, so long as society’s horizons are equally accessible for everyone. But there are thousands of insights that shape my inquires. Even though I have a positive view of humanity, there is room for ambivalence in my work; accepting this should foster a certain mildness towards oneself. This is what I strive for in my work.” (pg 20)

Rist, Pipilotti. Congratulations. Edited by Richard Julian. Stockholm: Gravity, Be My Friend, 2007.



My favorite Rist video and also one of her earliest. I'm Not a Girl Who Misses Much.

Pour Your Body Out: Interview with Rist at MOMA installation,.

No comments:

Post a Comment