Sunday, February 7, 2010

In defense.

In preparation for walk through I have thought through a series of questions that might be asked by my audience and the answers as of right now.

Why the white background? It's a useful vacuum space... alludes to advertisement but it’s like the pre-shoot to test the model's ability to create a successful image. My postures would keep me from any traditional job.

Why not use a model? I didn't want to be telling people what to do or how to think. While standing in front of the camera I am interpreting a lot of things I've consume, clothing culture, political culture and familial culture and then sending those thoughts out through my face and body. It would be difficult and inorganic to put that pressure on someone else. And I'm a control freak.

Also, using myself alludes directly to the introverted gaze and subverts the male/audience gaze. Being the only person of judgement in the room allows for full freedom of expression.

How do I choose the clothes? I choose clothes from my existing wardrobe, comprise of mostly second-hand finds. MY personal taste draws my to old items with character and history. I frequently shop at goodwill and second hand stores in search of fashion inspiration. This same inspiration translates to the pictures. I am using these garments with a history or a story to influence how I am thinking about my own femininity and role in modern society. Not of all the clothes are second hand, but the ones that don't carry special meaning to me or translate a certain idea in their style and prominence.

Why aren't you wearing shoes? I want to make it clear that I am not wearing outfits. These are pieces of clothing from my closet that I am wearing to show the range of female capability. But these outfits are not costumes either. I am not dressing up as someone else. I am dressing as me and expressing internal ideas, formed by preconceived notions of the people who wore the garment before me, or other people who would wear the same outfit in modern day.

How am I directing my expressions? My face is the vehicle to my mind. I have both very little control over my expression and total control. Fortunately for this work, my thoughts are conveyed directly onto the plains of my face, so I use this transfered emotion to control my expression. I use a lot of directed thinking and focused mental role playing to show the breadth of a female's response to her outer world. These emotions include strength,contemplation, suspicion, strain, deadpan, denial, control, and confidence. I am not focusing or negotiating physical beauty in either my face or my body. This will ether appear or not appear for the viewer depending on their personal preference.

In what size and format will you be presenting these self-portraits? I am printing on a very tactile matte paper that alludes to craft rather then advertising. Since my photos already hinge on their commercial implications, I felt necessary to stop this idea from seeping any further into the images. I've printed and presented the images in three sequenced groups of nine. The figures work better in relation to each other, communicating their individual message to the combined message of one feminine identity. They are the same person, all completely within her control and domain, but they express different sides of a complicated coin. She presents as feminine, domestic, proud, self confident, confrontational, masculine, balanced, sexual, flexible… all of these things become part of the whole. Part of a more complex identity. The size also alludes to the size of a small doll. I wanted to reference to be there, but not overt.


I'm sure their are more questions to come and I'm excited to receive further feedback and comments on my work thus far. Final Jpegs and installation shots to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment