Monday, January 11, 2010

In the Midst of Chaos there is Clarity and Other Bullshit

I've spent the majority of the weekend remaking my balloon video (which I realize is still not posted. I will put the most recent version on the web today or tomorrow). In the most recent version, I made a longer "dress" of balloons. Also, I wore a nude tank top and nylons as a base, verses a black tank top and black leggings. The nude colored undergarments emphasized the "dress" aspect of the balloon outfit, transforming it into a real garment.

The idea of the over-inflated, difficult to wear garment started to wear on my mind. As women, we put ourselves through physical rigors to wear the latest uncomfortable fashions. We buy expensive, non-practical clothing because it is beautiful, not because of it's comfort. I think my balloon dress is speaking to the difficulties and the impracticalities of dressing.

At the end of the video, I take of the dress and leave it in the frame. I have relaxed into my "natural state" and no longer have to negotiate the ridiculous fashion of the day. I leave the dress with it's own debris. They deserve each other.

Stills of the debris.




No comments:

Post a Comment