Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Barn for Little Village










I am privileged to be the photographer for a local free publication called Little Village. Maggie Anderson's barn story is my first assignment. I will be posting my rough shots as I go. I shot two barns today and am hoping to shoot a few more tomorrow. The first barn is falling over but the composition remains beautiful and the decay is a photographers dream. Farm owner Terry Johnson was kind enough to let me on to his property and tell me a bit about the barn.

Terry has lived on the farm since he was three years old. The barn predated him and his family and he guesses that it's age is over 80 years. The barn was built with wooden pegs which you can see throuhgout the structure. While we talked he kept repeating that he wasn't proud of this barn. And I quote "Every time we get a big wind storm I look out at the old barn and hope it's blown over. Then I won't have to pay anyone to come do it for me."

A man offered to start taking it down for him in exchange for the lumber. He stripped some of the shingles off the roof and gave up, saying it was too much work. The evidence of his brief labor lays in a bare strip up the middle of the barn roof.

Enjoy the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment