Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mirror portraits

Here is my artist statement and portraits from this series.

Anything but Yourself


“When you look in a mirror, it’s hard to see anything but yourself.”

The mirror simultaneously creates and defines my exterior presentation. I rely on my reflection and my critical judgment as a consistent barometer of my attractiveness. I know how my body looks in every position. I know what expressions my face conveys. I know every unpleasant feature I possess. Above all, I know how to best present myself. Because of this lifelong study, I am fully aware of the person I exhibit in everyday life.

I am fascinated with the idea of “mirror as truth” and how we, namely women, use our studied reflection to determine physical behavior. The young women reflected in my mirror had no idea what they looked like at the moment my shutter clicked. The image reflected back to them was one of me, taking their picture.

The idea of not knowing what you’re presenting to the world is uncomfortable, especially when confronted with a camera. To compensate my models used practiced poses extracted from studied and perfected daily behaviors, using their past mirror experiences to the influence their current mirror situation.







No comments:

Post a Comment