Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rineke Dijstra: Park Portraits

I've been familiar with Dijstra for some time. But these Park Portraits struck me more then any of her other work. And it was through these images that I started to understand her images as a whole. In my examination of these portraits, I focus on how we've been trained to present ourselves, both by our parents and by the camera. How we are poised and pose. And how children already have this sense of maturity and purpose that looks contrived or exterior to their very being.





The girl in the fairy costume is the exception. While she is the most costumed, she is also the most child-like. Letting us live in her fatally with her. Whereas the other children refer very strongly to what they will be when they grow up, or what they already are.

No comments:

Post a Comment