Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chalk and Wanting



I'm reaching a ways back now, to the beginning of the school year. This is one of the first things I did when I arrived in Rochester this fall. My work is still focused on expectations of the modern female and the struggling between full-fulling those expectations, or turning away from them. Their is still a sense of complacency in this image. I've written the statement in chalk, which washes away at the first sign of weather. The idea of the thank you note, or being grateful, of doing what your mother trained you to do, is very present in this image. For better or for worse, we are trained to be something/someone. Behaviors become ingrained. And while we may consciously turn away from that person or puppet, instincts and agency are often at war.

No comments:

Post a Comment