Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kelly Mark: I Really Should.


I love the statement "I really should." There's a moment in Sex and the City where Carrie says "why are we shoulding all over ourselves?" The should implies an entanglement with something we are not in control of. But here, Mark is taking control, talking about all of the proper things she should do but doesn't. She is not a lady. She is an individual, selfish at times. Brave and independent in others. I wish I could hear the whole piece.

In my sounds pieces (which I have yet to upload to the web) I am working with the statements "I wish I wanted to" and "I didn't."

But I don't play the power position in either of the pieces. In both of my works, what I wish for and against and what I didn't do are in control. What I didn't do says far more about me then what I did do and what I wish I wanted inevitably will be what I get, whether I wanted it our not. I am bent towards the system and away from myself.

http://www.kellymark.com/IRS_CD.html

No comments:

Post a Comment