Saturday, December 12, 2009

A new idea: digital work in progress




The are digital proofs of works that I hope will become touchable objects. I have taken my grandmothers linens that she embroidered upon and careful kept in perfect condition, and essentially, destroying them. I am destroying by re-appropriating. Right now I am working with modern media images from magazines that show that tug or war modern women play in today's society. Are we sex icons, working women, wives, mothers, housekeepers, warriors? Are we everything. Or really, are all our "selves" completely and completely washing away a true identity.

I find the embroidered linens to be the perfect canvas for a exploration of self. Made in a time where women had few options, the product of their lifestyle came through in standardized crafting... embroidery, sewing, knitting. All of which have recently been reclaimed by the DIY generation. But their is a sadness in these linens. They were made and used sparingly. Treasured but rarely admired. And so I blend the modern with the old. A newly trendy act with it's standardized origins. Combining visual imagery with handmade object, I hope to use craft to create art. I hope to emphasize our modern access to many choices on the canvas of a time where they were far less options. I hope to bring two words together and show how things are still sort of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment